Would I be a good candidate for a High Impact school?
There is no single profile of a successful High Impact teacher: We accept candidates with a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. Strong candidates have several things in common:
- A belief that all students can succeed and a commitment to upholding high expectations for all.
- A commitment to continuously improving their own practice as a teacher.
- A drive to reach students who need great teachers the most.
- The ability to persevere through challenges and a history of excellence in previous endeavors.
I am a certified teacher outside North Carolina. Can I apply to teach in Charlotte-Mecklenburg’s High Impact Schools?
Teachers who are certified by other states or even other countries may be eligible to transfer their existing license to teach in North Carolina. We encourage you to contact the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools’ Human Resources Employee Relations department at 980-343-1900 or e-mail the Human Resources department to learn more about eligibility to work in the United States and teach in North Carolina.
I don’t have a teaching license. Can I be a lateral entry teacher?
We encourage talented career-changers who meet the relevant requirements to join High Impact schools and use their college degrees to make a difference in the lives of students. Please visit the CMS lateral entry page to ensure you meet the requirements to begin teaching. In general, you need to meet the following requirements for lateral entry:
- Have at least a Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university; and
- Have a 2.5 cumulative undergraduate GPA; and one of the following:
- Have a relevant degree (e.g., a math degree to be a math teacher) or 24 relevant credit hours; or
- Have passed the Praxis II for your content area.
I am currently a teacher in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, but I would like to join a High Impact school. What do I need to do to transfer?
As a current employee of the district, you are eligible to transfer schools in the spring. We encourage you to submit your application for the 2016-17 school year as early as April 2016 to be considered for a position in a High Impact school.
I’m interested in a teacher leadership position at a High Impact school. How do I apply?
You can apply for leadership positions using the same process you followed to apply for an instructional position. Simply select the leadership position you are interested in, such as Dean of Students or Facilitator, and click apply in your application.
Where can I find information about upcoming CMS recruitment events?
CMS has several planned recruitment events for the coming year. Find details and registration information here.